14 December 2013

Wolves rally falls short, lose to Rampage 4-3


SAN ANTONIO --- The Chicago Wolves could not salvage their road trip Saturday night, falling to the San Antonio Rampage 4-3 at the AT&T Center and ending the three-game swing 1-2-0-0.

Right wing Mark Mancari, defenseman Brent Regner, and left wing Sergey Andronov tallied markers for the Wolves. Goaltender Matt Climie (2-5-0) kicked out 32 shots and suffered the loss.

Chicago (12-12-0-2) got on the board first with a goal from Mancari 7:28 into the game. As left wing Dmitrij Jaskin carried the puck behind the net, he backhanded a pass to Mancari. Mancari’s original shot was stopped, but the rebound deflected back out to him and he capitalized on his second chance.

Minutes later San Antonio (11-14-0-2) tied the score at 1-1. Right wing Jed Ortmeyer picked up the puck just inside the blue line to keep it in the zone and moved towards the net. He released a hard shot from the right wall that hit Climie’s arm and crossed the goal line far-side.

The Rampage took the lead at 15:16 with a power-play tally by left wing Garrett Wilson. Right wing Greg Rallo accepted a point pass at the doorstep, drawing Climie to the side of the net. He then sent a cross-crease pass to an open Wilson, who tapped it in.

As Chicago entered its first power play of the night, San Antonio struck again. Left wing Quinton Howden picked off an errant pass from the Wolves and crashed the net, deking in front of Climie and slipping it around his outstretched skate for a two-goal lead at 16:38 of the opening frame.

Regner cut San Antonio’s lead to one with a goal at 10:46 in the third period. Regner pinched from the point, deked around a Rampage player and moving in towards the net, snapping a shot top-shelf over goaltender Michael Houser’s glove.

The Rampage responded quickly, regaining a two-goal lead on a two-man advantage as right wing Bobby Butler took a pass from the corner and beat Climie with a quick shot over Climie’s blocker.

The Wolves again rallied with minutes left, scoring at 18:20 to bring the gap to one. Right wing Ty Rattie sent a pass to the front of the net for a streaking Andronov, who poked it past Houser.

Houser (5-2-0) made 34 stops to earn the win.

The Wolves return to Allstate Arena at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 18 for a School Day Game against Hamilton.

Chicago 1 0 2 -- 3

San Antonio 3 0 1 -- 4

First Period---1, Chicago, Mancari 5 (Jaskin, Bolduc), 7:28; 2, San Antonio, Ortmeyer 5 (unassisted), 11:08; 3, San Antonio, Wilson 6 (Rallo, Shore), 15:16 pp; 4, San Antonio, Howden 4 (unassisted), 16:38 sh. Penalties---Regner, Chicago (crosschecking), 3:36; Edmundson, Chicago (slashing), 14:16; Selleck, San Antonio (elbowing), 15:39; Rattie, Chicago (unsportsmanlike conduct), 19:54.

Second Period---None. Penalties---Whitney, San Antonio (tripping), 3:53; Jaskin, Chicago (tripping), 8:05; Bench, Chicago (too many men on the ice), 12:00; Ortmeyer, San Antonio (slashing), 8:25.

Third Period---5, Chicago, Regner 3 (Davies, Hanson), 10:46; 6, San Antonio, Butler 9 (Shore, Whitney), 11:02 pp; 7, Chicago, Andronov 4 (Rattie, Locke), 18:20. Penalties---Rattie, Chicago (goaltender interference), 5:25; Shattock, Chicago (tripping), 10:50; Bolduc, Chicago (unsportsmanlike conduct), 10:50.

Shots on goal---Chicago: 16-5-16—37; San Antonio: 15-8-13—36. Power plays---Chicago 0-3; San Antonio 2-8. Goalies—Chicago, Climie (32-36), San Antonio, Houser (34-37). A---6,578. Referee---Dave Lewis. Linesmen---Fred Hudy and Carl Sasyn.